Get to Know Matugga Rum
In our “Get to Know” series we offer a deeper insight into the incredible brands we have coming to the Spirit Show London. Highlighting the wonderful people and intricate processes behind the spirits.
Matugga represents the union of many cultures: Rums are craft-distilled in small batches in Cambridgeshire, UK, showcasing British micro-distillery craft at its best. They use raw materials of the highest quality from East Africa sugarcane molasses from the region’s rich, red, volcanic soils contribute to the intriguing smoky notes that are unique to their rums. The rums are 100% distilled in copper pot stills – in the Jamaican rum making tradition, to produce the distinctive full bodied flavour.
Tell us a bit about Matugga
Matugga Beverages Ltd is a UK-based drinks company and producer of Matugga Rum. The company is owned and led by British husband and wife team Paul and Jacine Rutasikwa who are of Ugandan and Jamaican heritage, respectively.
Why the name Matugga?
The family owns extensive land in Matugga – a town that is located 13 miles north of Kampala, Uganda’s capital and largest city. The family land in Matugga – a beautiful and serene place, was historically a sugar cane plantation. It is also where Paul and Jacine set forth their vision to showcase East Africa’s incredibly rich soil, high-quality sugar cane and natural produce by creating premium rums of exquisite quality and flavour.
What Rums will you be bringing to the show?
We will be showcasing Matugga Rum – our award-winning range of premium craft British rums that are distilled in Cambridgeshire from East African sugarcane molasses. Our molasses are fermented for seven days before being triple-distilled in 200-litre copper pot stills, with swan neck condensers. During each successive round of distillation, our Master Distiller ensures that the heads and tails areprecisely cut to extract the heart of the spirit.
Launched in October 2015, this is British Rum with an African Soul and the range currently consists of Matugga Golden Rum and Matugga Spiced Rum.
– Matugga Golden Rum is finished in English oak casks and has an intriguing smoky character that is full of evocative, juicy notes of tropical fruit. Smooth long finish.
– Matugga Spiced Rum is embellished with a Masala Chai blend of six fragrant botanicals – black tea, ginger, cloves, vanilla, cardamom and cinnamon, a popular spice mix in East Africa.
Is Matugga best enjoyed mixed or neat?
Both rums can be enjoyed neat, on ice or as the base for an outstanding rum cocktail.
Matugga Golden Rum is great in a Matugga Leopardess Cocktail & Matugga Spiced Rum in the Matugga Spiced Clandestino Cocktail. See full recipes here.
Best places to drink in London?
Enjoy Mattuga in a Jules Verne at Library Members Club, Covent Garden or at Trailer Happiness in Notting Hill.
Do you have any predictions about what we will be the next big spirits trend?
1. Emergence of more artisanal British rums offering unique flavour expressions.
2. All trends point towards sustained growth in the premium and super-premium end of the spirits market.
3. The increasing availability of high quality white rums, particularly from smaller craft producers, which could elevate consumer interest, experimentation and appreciation of category.
Remember all tickets to the Spirit Show include UNLIMITED tastings from over 200 of the world’s finest spirits.
Tickets are currently on sale starting at just 2 for £70 in our EARLYBIRD offer.